OCLC has developed Article Exchange as a service for OCLC lending libraries to post electronic documents and expedite their delivery to other libraries. For more information about Article Exchange, visit the OCLC website.
Within ILLiad, you can send and receive articles using Article Exchange. ILLiad will communicate with the Article Exchange service to route requests to the correct queues and update the OCLC status automatically.
Receiving OCLC Requests
When an OCLC article request is sent to your library through Article Exchange, ILLiad will automatically recognize this and will match the article with the correct ILLiad transaction number, download the article, and route the request to the designated queue. The Trusted Sender value you have chosen for the ArticleExchangeTrusted key in the Customization Manager will determine your workflow.
Trusted Sender – Always
If your Trusted Sender value is set to Always, ILLiad will complete this process completely automatically, without any staff intervention. The article will be downloaded to the correct location, the OCLC status will be updated, and your patron will be notified. This option will prevent staff from reviewing the article before delivery to the patron.
Trusted Sender – Never or Trusted
If your Trusted Sender value is set to Trusted or Never:
- ILLiad will pull the Article Exchange URL and Password from the Alert field in the OCLC Record and move the article to the correct location.
- The request will temporarily go to the status of Awaiting Article Exchange Retrieval.
- Once the article is retrieved from Article Exchange, you can process it through Electronic Delivery.
- In the Borrowing ribbon, click Electronic Delivery.
- Click Process Files and process them as you would with Odyssey and other files.
For more information on processing articles through Electronic Delivery, see Electronic Delivery.
Receiving Non-OCLC Requests
For non-OCLC requests, you will need to check in these articles manually. You will receive an email from the lending library with the Article Exchange URL and password which you will need to complete this process. Once the article is checked in, ILLiad will automatically pull the article from Article Exchange, place it in the correct location, and notify the patron.
- Under the Borrowing ribbon, click on Check In From Lending Library.
- Search for and locate the correct transaction.
- Copy the URL you received in the email from the lending library and enter it into the Article Exchange URL box.
- Copy the password you received in the email and enter it into the Article Exchange Passwordbox.
- Click Check In.
This request will be temporarily moved to the queue Awaiting Article Exchange Retrieval. After a short amount of time, the system will automatically move the request to Delivered to Web and notify the patron.